2018 North Americans Update #6: DN DAWN PATROL EVE

Join the crowd.

All the pieces are in place tonight for DN Dawn Patrol Tuesday. Sailors are ready to sail and inspect ice with the intent of announcing the site for 2018 DN North American Championship. We will make a decision by 1 PM EST Tuesday, with registration and opening ceremonies on Wednesday evening January 24th, and first races TBD on Thursday morning.
Next update Tuesday, January 23 by 1 PM EST.

2018 North Americans Update #5: DN DAWN PATROL TUESDAY

Coddiwomple (v.) To travel in a purposeful manner towards a vague destination 

The regatta organizing committee has postponed the site decision.
Mother Nature has been testing our patience. We truly appreciate and thank all of you for trusting us to do our best for you.

We are dealing with some uncertainty as to how the precipitation and following cold temperatures will affect the sites under consideration. The positives right now are that we have our assets positioned in key areas to help us scout ice. Sites under consideration are Lake Winnebago at Fond du Lac, Wi, Madison, WI, Lake Charlevoix, Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Michigan. If none of these venues prove sailable after the storm, Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire remains an option.

We are confident that we will get this regatta in. Please take this time to relax and enjoy. Ice scouts should be ready to go on DN Dawn Patrol Tuesday morning to gather information in time for our 12 noon EST conference call. We are hoping to make the final decision by 1 PM EST Tuesday, with registration and opening ceremonies on Wednesday evening January 24th, and first races TBD on Thursday morning.

Next update Tuesday, January 23 by 1 PM EST. 

2018 North Americans Update #4

Sit Tight!

The organizing committee has postponed the selection of the regatta site until 7:30 PM EST, Sunday, January 21, 2018.
At this point, we have possible sailable venues on Lake Charlevoix in Michigan and Senachwine Lake in Illinois. Weather issues for Lake Charlevoix include chances of mixed precipitation and lake effect snow on Monday through Tuesday.
Weather issues for Senachwine Lake include a long stretch of warm temperatures with two days into the 50s forecast during the race week. Other locations that are not regatta quality but are still under consideration with the current weather pattern include Kingston, Ontario in Canada, Lake Sebago, Maine, Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire, Lake St. Clair. Michigan, Houghton Lake, Michigan, and the greater Madison region in Wisconsin. We will have ice scouts at these sites tomorrow and we will do our best to keep you informed. Thank you for your patience and thanks to the ice scouts who are trying to make this happen.
Next update by 7:30 PM EST Sunday, January 21, 2018. 

2018 North Americans Update #3

Coming soon!                                                                           Photo: Rick Myslinski.

The organizing committee has postponed the selection of the regatta site until 4:30 PM EST, Saturday, January 20, 2018.
Our primary site locations at this point are the greater Lake St. Clair region near Detroit, Michigan and the greater Madison, Wisconsin area. Registration has been moved to Monday evening, January 22 at the earliest.
We have two days of warm weather at both locations with a precipitation event on Monday for both locations. Changing ice surface conditions as the weather pattern moves through these areas is causing the delay. Delaying the site selection gives us more time to assess conditions in those regions.
There is a probability that after the weather pattern passes through there could be shell ice, drain holes, and shoreline erosion at either location. Drifts at both locations may not perfectly flatten out after the weather event.
Next update by 4:30 PM EST Saturday, January 20, 2018.